50 gr Kataifi semifrost
20 gr clarified butter
30 gr Ginger Syrup
50 gr Dil Peyniri Cheese
200 gr Sugar
130 gr Water
10 gr Gingerthinly sliced
1 lemon Peels
Knafeh or Kanafeh is a dessert made with shredded vermicelli-like pastry noodles (kataifi) moistened with clarified butter, covered with crumbles of cheese and seared on both sides until golden. Before serving, the knafeh is showered in spiced heavy syrup.
The dessert is very popular in the Middle East, Turkey, Greece and the Balkans.
How to Make the Syrup:
- Add all the ingredients in a pot and boil for 2’
- Let it cool.
How to Make Kataifi:
- Cut kataifi with a knife and then blend it in the blender very well.
- Transfer in a bowl and add clarified butter and syrup. Mix well. Keep a small quantity side.
- Add butter in the special pot and lay kataifi all over. Press very very well evenly.
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 20’.
- Add cheese and cover with the kataifi you kept aside before. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 180C 15 more minutes.
- Turn in a plate and add cold ginger syrup.
- Sprinkle with pistachios.
Photo credit: Manolis Stithos