1/2 cup yellow peas
1/2 tsp Salt
1 large onion
2 tbs Butter
1/2 head of cabbage
1 cup brothvegetable, chicken or beef
2 Bay Leaves
4 allspice seeds
1 tsp caraway seedsoptional
1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
2 tbs all purpose flour
3 tbs Butter
Peas with cabbage have been served in Poland for nearly a thousand years! No wonder we have this specific version of braised sauerkraut, a Christmas meat-free dish.
It is an easy-to-make, delicious, and most of all super healthy snack or even a main course, where sour cabbage accompanies yellow split peas.
How to Make Kapusta Z Grochem:
- Place the uncooked yellow peas in a pot with 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt and cook on a medium heat (covered) for 30 mins. I like mine with just a little bit of substance, so I don’t boil them until they fall apart.
- In the mean time, cut the cabbage in half and thinly slice one half in a shredder or hand slice.
- Chop into smaller pieces.
- Chop 1 onion and sauté with bayleaves, allspice, and caraway in butter until golden brown in a medium/large pot (the cabbage will join in later).
- When the onions are ready, add the cabbage and broth and cook uncovered for about 10 mins to soften the cabbage.
- Add the peas, and mix well to combine.
- In a small pan, make a roux of flour and butter, add to the cabbage and stir in. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Add ground pepper at the end.