- 2 300 grams Lamb loinsskin removed but fat on
- 1 small lamb belly
- 1 pasta doughquantity
- 1 salt bush crumbquantity
- 4 of each colour Dutch carrot, white, purple, orange and yellow
- 4 of each colour carrotfor shaving
- 100 millilitres smoked carrot juice
- 2 kilograms lamb bones
- 4 litres Veal Stock
- 1 carrotdiced coarsely
- 1 stick celerydiced coarsely
- 1 brown oniondiced coarsely
- 2 cloves Garlicleft whole
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 750 millilitres lamb jus
- 1 teaspoon cumin seedstoasted
- 1 tablespoon crushed coriander seedstoasted
- 150 grams rendered lamb fat
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 500 grams Flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 8 Egg Yolks
- 20 millilitres Olive Oil
Smoked carrot juices
- 1 litre carrot juice
- 10 grams Agar-agar
- 85 millilitres good olive oil
- 15 grams Dijon Mustard
- ½ small lemon finely zested
- 1 teaspoon roasted and crushed coriander seeds
- pinch salt
Salt bush crumb
- 60 grams salt bush leavesdeep fried until crisp
- 50 grams crisp ecshallots
- 40 grams bread crumbs
- pinch of salt
- Roast off the lamb bones until golden brown
- Transfer to a large pot and cover with the veal stock
- Roast of the veg until golden brown
- Bring the stock to the simmer, skim of the fat and then add the remaining ingredients
- Simmer for 8 hours and then strain through a fine sieve
- Reduce by two thirds
- Heat the lamb fat to 160 C
- Remove from the heat and add the cumin, coriander seeds and paprika
- Whisk this into the lamb jus
- Steep for 20 minutes
- Strain and season.
- Place the flour and salt in the food processor and run
- Whisk all the other ingredients together and then add them slowly to the flour while the machine is running
- Tip onto a work surface and knead together. Wrap in cling film and rest for two hours before use.
- Sprinkle the lamb belly with salt, some chopped rosemary and grated apple and garlic.
- Allow to cure in the fridge overnight
- Rinse the salt cure of the lamb belly and place into a cryovac bag along with 400 g salted butter.
- Place into a steamer and cook for 12 hours, or until the meat is tender and flakes apart.
- Strain away the butter. Flake the meat, being careful to remove any sinew and excess fat.
- When the meat is flaked then adjust the seasoning.
- Place a sheet of cling film onto a work surface.
- Shape the flaked meat onto the cling film into a long cigar like cylinder
- Wrap tightly to form the shape and refrigerate to set.
Lamb Belly Cannelloni
- Using a pasta machine, roll out the pasta dough nice and thin, usually finishing on the second lowest setting.
- Remove the cling film form the lamb belly logs and portion into 50 g pieces.
- Cut the rolled pasta into shapes to fit the cannelloni.
- Roll up the lamb meat and seal each end of the cannelloni.
- Blanch in salted water for 40 seconds and then place into an ice bath.
- Remove when cold and store ready for use.
Smoked Carrot Juices
- Juice the carrots and then place the liquid in a pot.
- Reduce by 50%.
- Place into a smoking tray and gently smoke for 1 hour.
- Reheat and sprinkle in the agar. Heat to 90 C and whisk well.
- Strain into a clean tray and allow the mix to set.
- Puree in an upright blender, and check the seasoning.
- It should be thick, glossy yet still smooth.
- Whisk all ingredients together.
Salt Bush Crumb
- Blend all together in a food processor until coarse.
- Using a peeler, shave the remaining fresh raw carrots and mix with the vinaigrette and fresh herbs.
- Season the lamb loin with salt and pepper.
- Place the flesh side down into a hot pan (with a little oil) to sear.
- Turn over so the lamb cooks on the fat side down, this will render the fat.
- Cook to your desired taste.
- Remove and allow to rest before slicing.
- Place the other Dutch carrots into a hot pan with a little oil and gently roast them for 3 minutes.
- Place the cannelloni in boiling salted water and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the water and toss in a pan with some nut brown butter and salt bush crumb.
- Place onto the chopping board and remove both ends to reveal the meat.
- Place a tablespoon of carrot juices onto a warm plate.
- Place the cannelloni onto one half of the carrot juices.
- Place the sliced lamb loin onto the other half of the carrot juices.
- Top with roasted carrots.
- Top with carrot and herb salad.