2 kg pork leg
8 ancho peppersseedless
1⁄2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup tomato puree
1 tablespoon chicken broth powder
1⁄4 cup almonds
1⁄4 cup blueberries
1⁄4 cup prunesstoneless
1 1⁄2 cup orange juice
2 Bay Leaves
Another Christmas favourite in Mexico is this delicious pork leg shredded with ancho pepper. This recipe is super easy to prepare and the leg is deliciously flavored since it is made with ancho pepper, orange juice, almonds, blueberries and prunes… your family will love it and it will look stunning on your holiday table!
How to Cook Juicy Pork Leg Shredded with Ancho Pepper:
- Season the leg on all sides with salt and pepper; tie the pork leg with cane thread.
- Form incisions along the entire leg with a knife. In these holes introduce almonds, blueberries and prunes.
- Heat a large frying pan, add vegetable oil and seal the meat everywhere.
- Transfer the pork leg to an oven tray and set aside.
- Dip the ancho peppers in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Blend the orange juice along with the chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, achiote, tomato puree, soaked ancho peppers, bay leaves, onion, garlic, two cups of the chili cooking water, salt and pepper.
- Cover the leg with the marinade, cover it with aluminum foil and bake at 220 ° C for two and a quarter hours; bathe the leg every 20 minutes with its own juices to prevent it from drying out.
- Remove the aluminum foil and return it to the oven for 30 minutes, bathing it with its juice every 10 minutes.
- Serve the pork leg shredded with ancho pepper accompanied by mashed potatoes and salad.