1 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoons envelope yeast
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 1/2 - 4 cups Flour
1 eggroom temperature, slightly beaten
3 tablespoons Buttermelted
1 teaspoon Salt
1 egg yolkslightly beaten
poppy seedssesame seeds, or caraway seeds for sprinkling
They may not be as easy as buying from the bakery… but they are so good!
How to Make Homemade Buns:
- Whisk together the water, yeast, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the flour in the bowl of a stand mixer. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg, butter, salt, and an additional 3 cups of the flour. Use the kneading attachment to knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until it starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl but is still a bit tacky to the touch.
- Add additional flour, a tablespoon at a time, if the dough is too sticky.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover loosely with a damp towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft free spot until doubled, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Gently deflate the dough. Cut into 12 pieces (18 for slider size) and form into hamburger and/or hot dog shapes.
- Place on baking sheets lined with a silpat or parchment paper, cover loosely, and allow to rise until puffy, about an hour. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Beat the egg yolk with 2 teaspoons of water. Lightly brush each bun with the yolk and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.