3/4 cup warm whole milk
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
2 tablespoons honey
3 large eggs
3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flourplus more for rolling
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
6 tablespoons Salted Butterat room temperature, plus more for serving
1-2 cloves garlicgrated or finely chopped
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup fresh basilfinely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
How to Make the Herb & Parmezan Bread:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, yeast, honey, eggs, 3 1/2 cups flour, and salt.
- Using the dough hook, mix until the flour is completely incorporated, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons room temp butter and mix until combined, about 2-3 minutes more. If the dough is still sticky, add the additional 1/2 cup flour, adding more as needed until the dough is smooth to touch.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons butter, the garlic, parmesan, basil, sage, and thyme in a small bowl.
- Punch the dough down and roll out onto a lightly floured surface, creating a large rectangle about 12 x 18 inches.
- Spread the garlic herb butter evenly over the dough.
- Starting with the long edge closest to you, roll the dough into a log, keeping it fairly tight as you go. When you reach the edge, pinch along the edge to seal.
- Using a knife, cut the log of dough in half lengthwise, leaving a small portion at one end intact (see above photo). Turn the halves to expose the filling.
- Cross the dough ropes over each other, repeating the twisting until you have a long, twisted dough.
- Coil half the rope up like a snake, stopping when you reach halfway. Then, coil the second half of the rope in the opposite direction.
- Carefully transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C Transfer the bread to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes,