4 avocadoesripe, should give slightly to a gentle squeeze
1 small purple oniondiced very finely
1 cup sour cream
3 limesjuice only
sea salt flakes
Guacamole is one of those items that everyone and their dog has a recipe for. This of course is the best version (haha), it is my version. I find avocado and lime have very distinct flavours so I tend to keep mine very simple and not overwhelm the guacamole with a 1001 ingredients. You’ll also notice that some people make their guacamoles chunky and others smooth. Depending on the dish I am serving it with I may make it chunky but overall I prefer to make it smooth as a ripe avocado really lends itself really well to that silky smooth texture.
- Halve the avocadoes, remove the pits and scoop out the flesh.
- Chop flesh roughly and place in a food processor.
- Add the onion, the lime juice, the sour cream, a few drops of Tabasco, season with salt and pepper and puree on high until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning.
- If not using right away store in an airtight container with a layer of plastic film stuck to the surface of the guacamole to prevent the air oxidizing the surface.
- Dollop on top of grilled fish or chicken with a little chopped tomato flesh and fresh coriander (cilantro), or serve with freshly steamed vegetables, chilli con carne, rice and of course corn chips and salsa.