- 100 g shallotsfinely diced
- 100 g leeksfinely diced
- 200 g Carrotsdiced
- 1 Celery Ribsdiced
- 2 garlic clovescrushed
- 200 ml White Wine
- 1 piece star anise
- parsley stalks
- 1 bay leafs
- 1.5 litres Water
- 200 gr baby spinach leaves
- 200 gr parsley leaves
- 400 gr nettles
- 2 shallotsfinely chopped
- 100 gr Salted Butter
- 100 gr soft fresh goat’s cheese
- 60 ml Fresh Creamlightly whipped
- 300 gr ricepreferable the 7 year aged Acquerello
- 350 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1000 ml White Wine
- 100 gr Pecorino romano
- Lemon Juiceto taste
- lemon zestto taste
- Salt & pepper
This delicious nettle & kale risotto with goat’s cheese ice cream was provided by Chef Stefan Hogan. Stefan is the Executive Chef at Corinthia Palace, Malta and was featured as our chef of the week in July 2020. Check out our interview with Stefan here.
How to Make the Vegetable Stock:
- Place all the vegetables in a pot and top with cold water.
- Bring to pot to the boil and remove from the heat, allow the vegetables to infuse for an hour.
- Once cool strain through a fine meshed sieve preferably lined with muslin to get a clear broth.
How to Make Green Herb Puree
- Pick through the leaves and discard any leaves that are not a bright green.
- In a pot of boiling water blanch and refresh the leaves in iced water.
- When cold drain and place in a colander to drain.
- When completely drained place in a food blender and puree to a fine consistency, add some ice cubes in necessary to keep the liquid cold and vibrant.
- Season with a pinch of salt to taste.
How to Make the Risotto:
- Warm the vegetable stock when about to start making the risotto.
- In a thick bottomed pan melt the butter and lightly cook the shallot without colour, stirring often to make sure it does not brown.
- Add the rice and stir to evenly coat with the butter, cook for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Deglaze with the white wine and stir until all the liquid has evaporated, season with salt and some pepper.
- Star adding the vegetable stock one ladle at a time, only add more stock when the previous quantity has been absorbed by the rice.
- Keep cooking until the rice is the correct texture, it should still have a crisp bite and a creamy consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the soft goat’s cheese and the pecorino.
- Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the green herb puree and whipped cream to get the correct consistency and colour.
- Just before serving stir in the lemon juice and some lemon zest to taste.
Plate on warm flat plates and decorate with edible flowers and a rocher of goat’s cheese ice cream.
Photo credit: Stefan Hogan