2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 cup warm water105-115˚F
2 1/2 cups Flourplus more for dusting, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons Sea Salt
3 tablespoons sunflower oilplus more for greasing the pan
6 cloves garlicminced
3 tablespoons fresh parsleyfinely chopped
These garlicky buns are a popular accompaniment to borshch thorughout much of central and eastern Ukraine.
How to Make the Buns:
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F
- In a bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water along with the sugar.
- Stir to combine and allow to rest until frothy, 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in 1 1/4 cups of the bread flour, cover with plastic, and allow to rest in the refrigerator (I have always seen this done overnight…)
- Mix in the remaining 1 1/4 cups of flour and the salt. On a floured work surface, knead the dough until smooth and elastic.
- Grease a round 9 inch ovenproof dish with oil.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces (or however many buns you want, depending on size).
- Form each piece into a ball and arrange in the oiled dish.
- Cover and allow to rest at room temperature until doubled and the rolls are touching.
- Once risen, brush with the beaten egg and bake until golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Immediately brush with the garlic oil topping and serve warm.
How to Make the Topping:
- In a small bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons oil, garlic, parsley, and salt.
- Top the buns with a brush as soon as they come out of the oven.