8 cups cooked beans with liquid
3 chipotle chilesin adobo sauce they come in a can
3 Tbsp vegetable shorteningor lard
1 pound Beefor pork chorizo
10 oz Queso Oaxacaor Chihuahua. or mozzarella
¼ cup pickled jalapeñoswith 2 tablespoons of the juice chopped
4 to 6 slices baconoptional
Frijoles Puercos are, simply put, refried beans! These aren’t just any beans though… they are cooked with cooked chorizo and topped with melted cheese – making it the perfect dip for crisp tortilla chips or even raw vegetables. This is an excellent recipe to make for your next party. Pair it with sour cream or spice it up with some smoked chipotle peppers!
How to Make Frijoles Puercos:
- Start by melting the vegetable shortening (or lard) and cook the chorizo
- Puree the cooked beans with the chipotle pepper in two different batches. Add to the cooked chorizo.
- Mix the beans and chorizo well then add the shredded cheese.
- Mix the cheese into the beans really well then add the jalapeños and jalapeño juice.
- Cook for another five minutes or so in low heat to incorporate all of the flavors.
- Serve hot with tortilla chips like a bean dip or as side dish.