2 lbs large whole fishI'm using crap
Salt and pepper
4 tbs Flour
3 tbs Oil
2 tbs Butter
Fried carp is a national food in Poland, though it is eaten only once a year—on Christmas Eve. Depending on local and family traditions, carp is fried with or without a coating.
- Clean and wash the fish. Cut off the head and tail, incise the belly and remove the insides. Rinse thoroughly (inside and out), dry..
- Cut the fish into steaks, as shown in the photo below.
- Place the fish in a bowl, add 2 tbs of salt, cover with cold water, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove, rinse, and pat dry.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish or a plastic bag.
- Add the fish pieces to lightly cover. Shake off any excess flour.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and butter.
- Put in the pieces of fish and sauté for a few minutes on each side on a medium heat.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to soak up the extra fat.
- If the steaks are thick, finish in a 350° F/180° C oven for a few minutes to cook through.
Note: Serve immediately or keep in a warm oven until ready to serve.