1 & 1/2c dry freekeh
1 whole carrots
1 whole celery
1 whole onion
2 Bay Leaves
1 whole chicken
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 medium oniondiced & fried in 2T oil
Salt and pepper
Freekeh is a cereal made from green durum wheat, which is roasted to create its unique smokey flavour. When transformed into this hearty, healthy, easy-to-make soup, you are left with a delicious, meaty flavour that is nutrient dense and will keep in your fridge for days. It sometimes includes chicken, but you can make a great vegetarian version! This soup is perfect for cold days, and really sticks to your ribs! In Lebanese culture, they often top it with sour cream.
How to Make Freekeh Soup:
- Soak dry freekeh in large bowl full of warm water for about 1 hour.
- Mean while, place 10 cups of water in large pot with bay leaves, onion, carrot & celery.
- Bring to a boil.
- Place washed chicken in pot. Skim the fat from the top of the pot and throw out.
- On medium heat Let boil for about an hour, this will be your chicken broth.
- Strain freekeh in strainer & wash it. Heat 1Tablespoon oil in another large pot, add freekeh in pot and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Place chicken in separate plate and shred.
- Add chicken broth (removing the bay leaves, onion, carrot & celery) to pot.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium & cover.
- After about one hour of cooking, add in shredded chicken.
- In small separate pan heat 2 Tablespoons of oil & fry the chopped onion. Add fried onion to soup.
- Continue to cook for about another half hour, flavor with salt & pepper at the end of cooking. Enjoy