5 liters Water
6 tablespoons honey
50g dried raisins(preferably dark ones)
250g old homemade breadsliced
1 small wineglass Port Wine
2 liters Milk
1 cinnamon stick
lemon peel(a piece the size of a thumb)
How to Make Formigos de Natal:
- Place all the ingredients, except the bread, milk, and dried fruit, into a pan and bring ingredients to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes and add the dried fruit and continue to boil for another 15 minutes.
- When it is almost cooked (which means it has been boiling for around 25 minutes in total), place the bread in a large bowl and pour over enough milk to cover the bread. Allow the bread to soak for 2 minutes.
- Drain the milk from the bowl so that there is barely any milk left.
- Add the soaked bread to the mixture in the pan and let it cook on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Season according to taste, and add some sugar if you have a sweet tooth.
- Finally, pour the mixture into small bowls and enjoy.