For the Caramel:
1 cup white granulated sugar
For the Custard Filling:
1 (12oz) can Evaporated Milk
1 cup Milk
½ tbsp vanilla extract
A pinch Salt
½ cup white granulated sugar
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Yield: 8 servings
How to Make Flan:
- Pour the sugar into a heavy bottomed pot and melt over a medium-low heat. You can shake the pan occasionally to ensure the sugar melts evenly.
- Once the sugar has melted completely (this can take up to 20 minutes) and there are no sugar crystals remaining, pour the caramel into an oven resistant dish or dishes. Set aside.
- Next, put all the filling ingredients into the blender and blend until velvety smooth.
- Pour this mixture into your baking dish, over the caramel and salt.
- Bake in a water bath (placing your baking dish inside another, larger oven safe dish with water) at 350 degrees for 60-80 minutes, or until the center looks jiggly (think jello) but not liquid.
- Remove the flan from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Using a knife, loosen the edges around your flan and the baking dish.
- Grab a platter to serve the flan on and place it over the baking dish.
- Carefully flip the flan onto your platter, allowing the caramel to drizzle over the top. Slice, serve and enjoy!