About 1 lb / 500 g fish parts (head, tail, fins)
1/2 celery rootor 1 celery stalk
1/4 Onionburnt directly on the gas burner
3 Bay Leaves
4-5 allspice and peppercorns - whole
4 cups Water
1 tsp Salt
filets (about 10 oz / 300 g) mild white fish
5 envelopes (40 g) gelatin
2 garlic cloves
2-3 sprigs fresh dill
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 cups frozen peasor canned peas
While many know the traditional Ukrainian festive dish kholodets (jellied meat), its fish version is more popular for Christmas. To prepare it, you need to boil trout, cool it down, and then cover it with gelatin.
How to Make Ryba W Galarecie:
- Place the fish pieces and the next 8 ingredients in a soup pot and boil on low for 30 mins.
- Strain the broth, remove and discard all but the carrots.
- Return the broth to the pot.
- Add the fish filets and simmer on low for about 10 minutes (until the fish is cooked).
- Remove the fish and cool.
- Boil the egg and thinly slice.* Slice the carrots.
- While the broth is still hot, add the gelatin by slowly pouring the powder into the hot soup and whisking vigorously.
- Crush the dill sprigs between your fingers and add to the broth/gelatin mixture, along with the crushed garlic cloves.
- Leave for 15 minutes. Remove the dill and garlic.
- Place 6 glass containers (mine are about 1/2 cups each) on a tray.
- Place a slice of egg, carrot slices, a few peas into each container.
- Then place pieces of cooked fish filets (evenly divide between all containers) – see photo below.
- Gently pour the fish broth over the fish and vegetables to cover.
- Transfer the tray to the fridge and cool overnight.
Note: Serve with bread, sprinkled with lemon juice or white vinegar.