4 bunches broad leaves spinachwash. Pick leaves with a bit of tender stalk, shred
6 medium fresh tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 yellow scotch bonnetoptional
1 tablespoon locust beansor 1 dadawa cube, optional
4 fish cutlets(any white fish), wash and remove bone
2 tablespoons ground crayfish
1 cup Chicken Stock
50 gr smoked haddockor smoked mackerel, Cut into small pieces
100 ml palm oil
2 seasoning cubes
Efo riro is a typical Yoruba dish which is a quick and simple way to prepare and enjoy fresh, green and leafy vegetables.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
How to Make Efo Riro:
- Boil 2 cups of water, dissolve a seasoning cube and blanch spinach for no more that 1 minute. Drain and allow to rest. Alternatively, place spinach leaves in a food bag, and blanch in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Make the base sauce by coarsely blending onion, tomatoes, scotch bonnet (if using), and locust beans.
- Heat palm oil in a pot and add blend. Add stock and stir.
- Allow to boil for about 10 minutes, then add ground crayfish and continue to cook. Check salt. Add the fish cutlets and allow to cook for another 5 minutes, then add the smoked haddock, stir, also add 1 seasoning cube.
- Then add the blanched spinach. Stir well to mix sauce with spinach. Cover and simmer for another 2-3 minutes or till the fish is cooked.
- Best served with pounded yam but can also be served with rice, amala, garri etc
Photo credit: https://www.instagram.com/graendkitchen/