1 kg rectangular loin fillet(beef or pork or combined)
1 tablespoon Salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon ground laurelor 2 teaspoons ground cloves
100 gr Butteror margarine
Preparation in Advance:
- Sprinkle a flat (about 1 inch) rectangular fillet (or 2 when pork and beef are combined) with salt and pepper and 1 grounded laurel leave (in the northern provinces of the Netherlands ground cloves are used).
- Rub the spices into the meat and roll it up firmly from the smallest end, the roll must be (almost) equally thick the whole length.
- Fix with cotton to preserve the shape. Let rest for at least an hour (better overnight).
How to Make Rollade:
- Heat the margarine in a pan till golden brown and brown the “rollade” (don’t puncture the meat, as it will lose the meat-juices).
- Add boiling water (the gravy must keep boiling) till half of the rollade is in the gravy.
- Cover the pan and simmer. Reckon on simmering for 45 minutes-1 hour for each kilo of meat.
- Turn the rollade half way through cooking.
- Take the meat from the pan and cool.
- Serve, cold and thinly sliced, with a rich sauce, enhancing the taste.