- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour*300 gr
- 2/3 cup Sugar*130g
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup dairy-free milk*250g
- 30 g Pandan leaves
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt*125g
- 3/4 cup dairy-free butter melted*170g
- 1 tsp pandan extract*optional
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk*620ml
- 3 tbsp coconut syrupdate syrup
- 2 tbsp cornstarchdissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup cendolPandan juice rice flour jelly
- 2 tsp agar agar powder
Cendol is an iced sweet dessert that contains droplets of green rice flour jelly, coconut milk and palm sugar syrup, while pandan has fragrant leaves which are used widely for flavouring in the cuisines of Southeast Asia and South Asia.
How to Make the Cake:
- Combine 30g chopped Pandan leaves, 1 cup of milk, and blend until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Use the back of a spoon to press out the juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl mix together wet ingredients.
- Gently fold the mixture together with a spatula to incorporate.
- Transfer batter to prepared 8×8 square cake pan. Tap gently against the counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake at 175c for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pan from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Invert cakes onto a rack with parchment paper and cool completely.
- In a saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil. Add agar-agar and stirring constantly, keep stirring until agar completely dissolve.
- Then lower the heat and whisk in cornstarch and coconut syrup. Let simmer for 1 min. Turn off the heat, stir in cendol.
- Place a piece of the cake into the prepared cake pan. Pour about half of the cendol mixture over the cake.
- Place in the freezer for 5-10 mins to set.
- Then place another piece of cake on the top of the custard and pour another portion of cendol into the cake pan.
- Repeat for the final layer.
- Transfer the cake to the fridge for at least 4 hours to set, or until it is firm enough to unmould.
Photo credit: Brahem patisserie