- 540 grams cherriesfully ripe but firm
- 30 grams all purpose flour
- 165 millilitres heavy cream 35%
- 165 millilitres Milk
- 45 grams granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 piece vanilla beanyou may substitute with vanilla essence
- 30 millilitres kirsch
- icing sugarfor dusting
Although this is an original cherry Clafoutis recipe, you can adapt it with lots of different seasonal fruits. You can make a Clafoutis with blueberries, strawberries, figs, apples, pears and other type of fruit.
How to Make Cherry Clafoutis
- Pit the cherries and set aside (read our guide in how to pit cherries).
- Sift the flour and add the salt.
- Sprinkle the cherries with 1/2 of the sugar and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the whole eggs and egg yolks fluffy; add 1/2 of the sugar, cream and the milk to it and beat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the small inner seeds. Add them to the batter.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the flour to a smooth, liquid batter.
- Add the Kirsch to the batter, strain the cherries out of the liquid and add this liquid to the batter as well.
- Butter the pie dish very well.
- Add the cherries in the dish and pour over the batter until the cherries are just covered.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 170 C (340 F) for approximately 35-45 minutes or until all the batter has cooked and the top of the Clafoutis is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar just ahead of serving.