76 gr cashew fine powderfrom plain cashews
70 gr castor sugar
2 pinches fleur de sel
30 gr egg whites
70 gr raw cane sugar
20 gr Watervegetable stock
30 gr egg whites
945 ml Raw, daily fresh goat milkstrained
80 gr Apple Cider Vinegaror any vinegar except balsamic
a pinch Salt
Volcanic Sepia Ash:
30 gr sourdough bread
40 gr nero di sepia
sea salt & pepper
This is a delicious savory macarons dish provided by Kostas Magoulas, a Chef’s Pencil Chef of the Week. Check out our interview with Kostas to learn more about his career and Middle East food scene.
How to Make Cashew Macarons:
- In a mixing bowl add the cashew powder, the fleur de sel and the castor sugar and mix with your hands.
- Crush every lump and shift through a shifter in a new bowl.
- Add the 30 gr egg whites and mix using a pastry spatula until you form an one piece sticky bowl. Cover with a cling film and set aside.
- Place the cane sugar and the water in a small pot, cover and let it reach until a boil while stirring continuously. Make sure the sugar is dissolved well and set aside to cool a bit.
- Preheat your oven at 150 Celsius(on the air setting).
- Place the 30 gr egg whites in a bowl and whisk with your mixer until a hard set meringue.
- Combine slowly the syrup into the meringue no matter if the syrup have set.
- Fold the meringue carefully into the first bowl with the sticky ball.
- Place the mixture either in piping bag or in a macaron form.
- Do not rest the dough.Almond flour needs resting but cashews are higher in fat content so they will stick together. (To make sure the mixture is ready spoon some of the mixture in your worktable or a plate.If it expands a bit and the surface is smooth the dough is ready).
- Bake for 15 minutes over 150 Celcius preferably in the middle rack of the oven without opening the door.
- Let the macarons cool completely before removing them from the pan or the form.
How to Make the Homemade Labneh:
- For the labneh cheese all you have to do is follow my Youtube video recipe.
- Instead of straining all the liquid(whey) out of the cheese keep some and mix it or blend it in a processor until you reach the perfect texture for you.
- Add salt carefully and/or herb.
How to Make Volcanic Sepia Ash:
- Dilute the nero di sepia in 50 gr water.
- Grate the bread with your hands in smaller pieces.
- In a pot mix well the bread with salt and pepper and the nero di sepia mix until all bread is black.
- Dehydrate in a dehyrdrator for 8 hours, 12 hours at 60 Celsius in the oven or 3 days under sunlight.
- In a food processor grate the mixture until fine, using a castor sugar sieve extract the ash, keep processing and straining till all the bread pieces turn into ash.
- The mixture makes at least 10 macarons of a classic normal size. Multiply accordingly.