- 1 large eggplantcut into large batons
- 1 medium onioncut into large wedges 1/8ths
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 green capsicumcut into same size as onion
- 2 tins whole peeled tomatoes piercetomatoes and allow to drain of liquid
- 50 millilitres red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- pepper grinder
This is a very versatile dish. It can be served as a first course; all it needs is a sprinkle of fresh shaved Parmesan cheese. It also makes a great main course accompaniment for lamb, game, poultry or beef. The only down side to this dish is you won’t be able to eat it without a nice glass of red nearby, I find a relatively mellow merlot works nice with it.
- Brown eggplant in deep fryer or well oiled pan & drain well.
- Soften onion and celery in some olive oil in a large pot (5-10 mins).
- Add tomato paste, capsicum (green pepper) and continue to saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, capers, olives and tomatoes.
- Season & simmer for 10-15 minutes or until almost dry.
- Add eggplant back in for 5 minutes & let cool (may require some liquid to be ladled off, should be a stew like consistency).