3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Cold Butter
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup ice cold water
3/4 cup Brown Sugarpacked
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large eggs
½ cup chopped pecansor walnuts, raisins or chocolate chips (optional)
Butter Tarts are a Canadian classic. The first butter tart recipe in Canadian history dates back to the year 1900 – and since then, they’ve stood the test of time. Although butter tarts consist of just a few simple ingredients, there is always a lively debate in Canadian households over whether to include nuts or raisins. Butter tarts can be found in home kitchens from coast to coast, with recipes often passed down from generation to generation, making the butter tart one of Canada’s most prolific desserts! Whether you’re a pecan fan, raisin lover, or just like them plain, they truly never disappoint!
Makes 12 tarts
How to Make Butter Tarts:
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
- In a measuring cup, combine the egg, vinegar and ½ cup of water.
- Gradually stir in the liquid, adding just enough to make the dough cling together. Do not overmix. Keep adding droplets of water until the dough holds together. Knead a few times and then wrap tightly. Chill for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface to about 1/8″ thick. Cut as many 4″ circles as you can. Re-roll the scraps and cut out more circles to make 12.
- Fit the pastry circles into a muffin pan and sprinkle the bottoms with raisins, chopped nuts or chocolate if using. Place back in the fridge until ready to fill.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar. Remove from heat and stir in the cream and vanilla. Let cool to touch (about 5 minutes) before whisking in the egg. Pour this mixture into the chilled pastry cups.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden around the edges and filling is bubbling.
- Let cool completely in the pan.