- 4 pieces Burrata80-100 grams
- 1 diced cucumberwith skin and seeds taken out
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 5 diced radishes
- 3 diced spring onions
- 2 celery stalksdiced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 applecut into cubes
- 100 grams strawberriescut in quarters
- 15 basil leaves
- 100 millimitres balsamic vinegar
- 100 millimitres Olive Oil
- 100 millimitres grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper
This burrata on summer salad with honey recipe is part of a collection of recipes published by the European Commission under the name of Great Food from Green European Cities. The cookbook promotes healthy food choices with an emphasis on dishes made with organic, seasonal and locally sourced ingredients.
The recipes were submitted by 21 European cities, each of them having successfully implemented food sustainability initiatives. This recipe was submitted by the city of Essen, Germany, which has developed 18 urban gardens and is looking to open another 18. It may seem a bit odd at a first to see a recipe submitted by a German city being based on an Italian cheese, but Germans are huge fans of Italian cuisine.
Burrata is a fresh Italian cheese that’s basically mozzarella with cream filling. It can be made of cow or buffalo milk. It is usually served at room temperature.
How to Prepare the Summer Salad with Burrata and Honey
- Mix all the liquid ingredients including the honey & mustard together and blend well.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar depending on taste preferences.
- Mix the ‘green’ ingredients in a bowl and add the salad dressing.
- Put the burrata on top and decorate with basil leaves.
Photo credit: Great Food from Green European Cities cookbook. Posted with permission.