Braised Lamb Shanks
- 4 x 1 pounds lamb shanks
- freshly ground pepper
- 5 cloves garlic peeled
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 4 medium celery ribs chopped
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 leek roughly chopped
- 750 millilitres dry red wine 1 bottle
- 3 cups Veal Stock
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 12 Peppercorns
- 1 cup Maine Grains Polenta
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. In a large sauté pan, heat some grapeseed oil.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and brown them on 3 sides over moderately high heat, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic, carrots, leek, thyme, celery and onion to the casserole.
- Add the red wine and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Move to a small braising pan and cover with foil. Braise the lamb shanks, turning once, for about 3 hours, or until very tender.
- Once braised remove half of the liquid and reduce to make the sauce.
- Bring stock to a boil. Add in polenta.
- Whisk every few minutes and cook until becomes creamy and soft in texture