1 quart blueberries
½ cup Water
½ cup Sugar
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Butter
2/3 cup Milk
The official dessert of the Maritimes! The Blueberry Grunt gets its name from the sound bluberries make when they are cooking down. To make this dish, all you need to do is cook down fresh blueberries with sugar and while you are cooking, whip up a quick biscuit batter. When ready, you will then bake the biscuits right on top of the stewed blueberries until everything is happy in the pot. This dish is often served with whipped cream or icecream, making it even more decadent!
How to Make Blueberry Grunt:
- Heat blueberries, water and sugar slowly until blueberries begin to soften; then bring to a boil. Simmer gently for a few minutes and keep on the stove, on low heat.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter and add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop dumpling dough, by the tablespoonful, into hot blueberry mixture.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook 15 minutes on low heat. (Dumplings will double in size.)
- Serve hot, spooning sauce over dumplings, and top with whipped cream if desired.