3 cup coconut milk
2 lbs pork bellycut into strips
½ cup shrimp paste
1 tbsp Garlicminced
6 pieces thai chilior Serrano pepper
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 medium onionminced
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and pepperto taste
Bicol Express is a popular Filipino dish in which the slices of pork meat is cooked with coconut milk, shrimp paste, and chili pepper. There’s a belief that this dish was adapted from a Bicolano recipe called “Gulay na may Lada,” meaning ‘vegetable with chili.’ Their main difference is quite pronounced: Bicol Express uses pork while “Gulay na may Lada” uses the only vegetable.
How to Make Bicol Express:
- Heat a pan and then pour-in the cooking oil.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger
- Add the pork and then continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes or until the color becomes light brown
- Put-in the shrimp paste and Thai chili or Serrano pepper. Stir.
- Pour the coconut milk in. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes or until the pork is tender
- Add salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Serve Hot. Enjoy!