- 2 Carrots
- 1/2 Leek
- 1 stick celery
- 1 Onion
- approx 1-2 kilogram Tafelspitz(bottom sirloin primal cut, preferably from the Waldviertler region of Austria)
- 5 litres Water
- 1 bunch lovage
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch chives
- 5 Peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
To Clear the Broth
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1 carrot
- 1 swede
- 1/2 celeriac
- 5 egg whites
Hot Spleen Sandwiches
- 160 grams finely chopped ground beef spleen
- 3 Eggs
- 1 marjoram
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 4 tablespoons Flour
Hot to Prepare the Beef Consommé
- Clean and coarsely chop the carrots, leek, swede and celery.
- Halve the onion, and brown the cut surfaces in a hot frying pan.
- Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan, and add the Tafelspitz (bottom sirloin primal cut, preferably from the Waldviertler region of Austria) with all of the other ingredients except the peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Bring to the boil once more, and simmer over a very low heat for 2-3 hours, adding the bay leaf and peppercorns halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove any grey foam that gathers on the surface using a flat skimming spoon.
- Leave the soup in a cold place overnight.
How to Clear the Broth
- Coarsely grind the minced meat and the other ingredients using a food cutter, and then add these to the cold soup.
- Bring to the boil very slowly, stirring all the time so that the meat does not stick to the bottom of the saucepan
- Leave to simmer very gently for about 2 hours before passing through a very fine sieve.
How to Make the Hot Spleen Sandwiches
- Mix together the minced spleen, two of the eggs, the herbs and the garlic before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mixture about ½ cm thick on a slice of bread.
- Place a second slice on top and spread again some of the mixture on top.
- Repeat with a third slice of bread and finish with the fourth.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, turn the `sandwiches` first in flour and then in the remaining egg, and fry them in the oil until golden brown.
- Remove from the pan, allow the excess oil to drain off, and cut into pieces of the desired size.
How To Serve the Beef Consommé with the Hot Spleen Sandwiches
- Pass the beef consommé first through a fine sieve and then through fine muslin, season to taste, and serve with the fried spleen sandwiches.