6 large garlic cloves
1 white onion
1 cup white vinegar
2 kg Beef
450 ml tomato broth
4 guajillo peppers
4 ancho peppers
1 bouque fresh cilantro
ground black pepper
Birria is one of the richest dishes of Mexican cuisine. Although this dish is delicious when prepared with sheep, goat or mutton, today we are going to prepare another delicious option: beef birria.
The meat is marinated with ground chili peppers for several hours, then wrapped in maguey leaves, and cooked in an underground oven.
How to Make Beef Birria:
- To begin with, let’s make a marinade for the meat. First, peel the garlic cloves.
- Peel the onion and chop half into irregular pieces, in order to facilitate the work of the blender, and reserve the other half.
- Put the garlic and onion in a blender and process them with the vinegar, a touch of salt, half a tablespoon of cumin powder, and half of ground pepper.
- Blend it all until it becomes a paste.
- It is best to prepare the meat keeping some bone and fat and cut it into medium-sized pieces. If it is not yet cut, this is the good time to do it. Then, put the pieces in a pot, well mixed with the pasta or marinade that you previously blended.
- Let the meat sit with the pasta for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, boil some water. Clean and de-vein the chilies. Then, remove the water from the heat and immerse the chilies for a few minutes.
- After, transfer the chilies to the blender and process them with the broth, a couple of teaspoons of oregano, and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Add this preparation to the saucepan with the meat, heat, and cook for 4 hours over a low heat. The goal is for the meat to soften until it almost melts.
- Dice the other half of the onion very finely.
- Wash the cilantro well. To disinfect it, I also soak it in water with a splash of vinegar. After draining it, chop the leaves.
- Reserve both the cilantro and the onion in the refrigerator to use them when serving the birria.
- Once cooked, serve the beef birria with its broth, hot, or drain the meat and make some taquitos with some corn tortillas. In either case, sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and onion.