3 to 4 tablespoons fatmixture of lard and butter or margarine
1 glass brandy
For the grain filling:
1 dessert spoon powdered cinnamon
How to Make Azevias de Natal:
- Cook the beans with a pinch of salt, peel and pass through a fine sieve.
- Heat the sugar with a little water and let it boil for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the mashed beans, cinnamon, and the zest of a lemon.
- Let the preparation boil, stirring until you see the bottom of the pan.
- Remove and add the yolks and put back to the heat to cook the yolks.
- Leave overnight.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, make a hole in the middle, and pour in the hot fat. Mix well.
- Add the brandy and then knead it, adding little drops of warm water seasoned with salt.
- Knead the dough well and let it rest in a temperate environment.
- Roll out the dough very thin, and fill with a little of the prepared sweet.
- Cut the dough into half moons (like patties), or triangles or rectangles (like meat pies), and fry them in very hot oil.
- Sprinkle with sugar and/or cinnamon.