For the Dough:
225 gr Cornmeal
25 gr wheat flour
225 ml warm water
1 pinch Salt
For Cabrales Sauce:
100 gr Cabrales cheese
1 tablespoon Butter
50 ml liquid cream
1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
For "Killing Picadillo":
150 gr picadillo
1 teaspoon Salt
For Pisto and Fried Egg:
800 gr crushed tomatonatural or preserved
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon Sugar
This is a classic dish of traditional Asturian cuisine, forgotten for a long time but rediscovered a few years ago. Round in shape, they are one of the region’s most typical dishes, and an exquisite accompaniment to other dishes, such as fried eggs or the magnificent Cabrales cheese.
How to Make the Dough:
- Mix the flours and salt.
- Add, little by little, the warm water and knead, by hand, until a soft and homogeneous dough is achieved.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and let it rest in the fridge for about two hours.
How to Make Cabrales Sauce:
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and add the cheese and flour. Stir everything well, with a wooden spoon.
- Incorporate the cream, mix, and cook everything a little.
How to Make “Killing Picadillo”:
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the picadillo for a few minutes.
How to Make Pisto and Fried Egg:
- Take a glass container with a lid and cover the bottom with oil.
- Chop half the onion into small pieces and put it in the oil. Cover the container and put it in the microwave for 7 or 8 minutes at maximum temperature.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Mix well, cover, and put it back in the microwave for 20 or 25 minutes at maximum temperature. Reserve.
- Cut the rest of the onion, pepper, garlic, eggplant, and zucchini into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini. Mix everything and let it cool down.
- Incorporate the tomato sauce, combine everything well, season, and let everything cook together for a few minutes.
- Fry the eggs.
How to Make the Corn Cakes:
- Put plenty of oil in a frying pan and heat it up.
- Cut portions of the dough to the desired size, shape into balls, and place them between two sheets of nonstick paper or film.
- Press lightly until you get finite circles that do not break when peeling them off.
- Fry the tortos on both sides until golden brown.
- Place on absorbent paper to drain.
- Place the chosen accompaniment on top of each torto.
- Serve them very hot.