1/2 lb almond pasteSold in the baking aisle, but be sure not to grab marzipan or almond filling, which will not work for this recipe.
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 egg whitesfrom a large egg, not a jumbo-sized egg
1 1/3 c. blanched almondschopped
Lemon Frosting (Optional):
2 ½ cups confectioner's sugarfor dusting
2-4 Tbsp. Lemon Juiceheated
These almond paste cookies, named Mandelsichel in German, are traditional German Christmas cookies that are hugely popular during the holiday season. They are shaped into a crescent, like many classic baked goods in Europe such as the famous croissant.
The best part about these cookies is that they can be made weeks ahead of time! Only four ingredients are required to make this flourless cookie recipe!
How to Make Almond Crescents:
- Using your hands or a food processor, soften the almond paste.
- Add the sugar and egg white and blend thoroughly (all this can be done in a food processor).
- The mixture is rather sticky; if desired, chill uncovered in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes or even overnight.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the mixture in tablespoons, and shape it into rolls about ¾ inch long. Roll them in chopped almonds and shape into crescents; they look better if you taper the ends in and down. Working with the mixture is easier if your hands are damp; I wet my hands frequently.
- Place the crescents on the parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving a little bit of room between them (cookies spread a little during baking).
- Cover the cookies with a dishcloth and leave to stand for 20 minutes; preheat the oven to 300 F. Bake at 300 F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from pan and leave to cool. Dust with powdered sugar.
- For added decadence, let the cookies cool and dip one end of them into some melted chocolate, then let the chocolate harden.
How to Make Lemon Frosting (Optional):
- Beat confectionary sugar into lemon juice until the frosting is thick enough to spread; continue to beat for several minutes until very creamy.
- When the cookies are cool, paint the tops with the frosting.