1 chickenclean and cut into pieces
4 tbsp peanut butter
2 tablespoon peanut oilor any vegetable oil
2 fresh tomatoesmashed
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 garlic clove
1 Bouillon cubeor Maggi cube
3 cups Water
potatoes, carrots or pumpkinoptional
African peanut soup is enjoyed in many West African countries.
There are a lot of varieties of peanut butter soup. It can be made with beef, fish, chicken, or completely vegetarian. This recipe uses chicken but it can substituted with the meat of your choice.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Serve: 4
How to Make African Peanut Soup:
- In a cooking pot, heat the vegetable oil and fry the chicken until brown. Remove and reserve aside.
- Reduce the oil in the cooking pot, leaving around 2 tablespoons, and add the onions, mashed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, bouillon cube, and black pepper. Stir-fry the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Add water and the peanut butter, and then cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the chili pepper and salt to your taste. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- To finish, return the fried chicken in the pot and let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- The soup is ready when you get the desired consistency. If you like it super thick, let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve with rice or Fufu.