4 cups low fat milk
1 lemon Sliced peel
1 cup Sugar
1 cup fine semolina
1 teaspoon vanilla
12 phyllo sheets
3/4 cups melted butter
icing sugarfor topping
Bougatsa is a traditional Greek dessert made with the most creamy custard wrapped in golden brown crispy phyllo, sprinkled with melted butter and garnished with icing sugar and cinnamon. Simply amazing! A traditional Greek dish, perfect for every time of the day, as a delicious snack or as a filling dessert.
How to Make Bougatsa:
- Warm the milk and lemon peel in a saucepan.
- Stir in the semolina with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until light and then add it to the saucepan.
- Stir it over a medium heat till the custard has thickened and is smooth and creamy.
- Remove from the stove and take out the lemon peel.
- Allow to slightly cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease a 20cm by 30cm baking dish with butter. Line the bottom with 6 sheets of phyllo. Lightly brush each layer with the melted butter.
- Add the cooled custard. Fold the excess bottom sheets over the custard. Add the remaining 6 buttered phyllo sheets over the top. Butter the top and spray with a little water.
- Bake for about 40 mins or so until golden brown. Leave to cool down, then dust with icing sugar and cinnamon.